Ep49: Should Startups Outsource?
What exactly is ‘Outsourcing’? and why should businesses even consider it?
Outsourcing is the practice of having certain job functions done outside a company instead of having an in-house department or employee handle them; functions can be outsourced to either a company or an individual.
Businesses outsource for a number of reasons including
- Reducing and controlling operating costs
- Improving company focus
- Gaining access to world-class capabilities
- Freeing internal resources for other purposes
- Streamlining or increasing efficiency for time-consuming functions
- Sharing risks with a partner company
However, it is important that you analyze your business and make a business case for outsourcing any function of your business. You do not just outsource for the sake of outsourcing – The goal should be to get better outcomes for the business and customers while using the resources available to you.
Before you outsource to any individual of company, you have to ensure that you have carried out an appropriate background check on them, have your deliverables well detailed out and a contract that binds them to it.
In this episode, we try to find out if outsourcing should be considered by small businesses.
Listen to our conversation below:
Do what you do best, outsource the restPeter Drucker
If You Enjoyed the Show
Please leave a comment below. If you want to hear more from The Afropreneur Podcast including and beyond the podcasts, join the enewsletter mailing list.
– Do you think your startup/idea is innovative enough? Apply for the Startup of the Year Award which is an international innovative competition created by Bonjour idée with the support of 70 partners (major business groups incubators, chambers of commerce, media, competitiveness clusters, influential blogs). – Apply here